Coalburn Church

Coalburn Church

The Present Coalburn Church

A Brief History

The first building opened in 1893 as a Mission Station of Abbeygreen Church, Lesmahagow, and by 1895 it was a fully sanctioned charge. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1918 and was replaced by the present structure in 1922.

Within the church there is a wall hanging depicting the village, past and present. This was completed by the children of the Sunday School to celebrate the church´s centenary in 1993. When the church was renovated in 2001, the hanging was refurbished for the re-dedication service, and two additional wall hangings were donated.

During the 125 years of its existence, the church has been served by seven ministers. Following the retirement of the Reverend Brian Cross, in July 1998, the linkage with Lesmahagow Old Parish Church was implemented.

In 2017, Coalburn and Lesmahagow Churches were united.

Interior of Coalburn Parish Church

Interior of Coalburn Church

125th Anniversary